KNOX SUPPORTERS LAUNCH PETITION CALLING FOR INVESTIGATIONS INTO FAIR TRIAL VIOLATIONS.
Supporters of the wrongly accused and provisionally convicted, Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, have launched a petition calling for the governments of three countries – Italy, the UK and the USA – to investigate the multiple violations of their right to a fair trial.
The petition is on the Change.org website at:
The project has been realised by members of Injustice in Perugia, a grassroots justice organisation. One of the organizers, Karen Pruett, of Seattle, explains: “The evidence has always pointed to Rudy Guede as Meredith’s sole killer. Her bedroom, the murder scene, contained two undisputed DNA profiles—Meredith Kercher and Rudy Guede. His profile in her room was a surprise to Miss Kercher’s family, roommates and friends. He is not a “date,” he is a cold blooded killer who should be serving life.”
Ongoing injustice is no justice for the victim – or for the unfairly accused
Pruett continues, “After years of watching Italian judges try to fit Amanda and Raffaele into a scenario in which they played no part, we feel that outside intervention is needed. We are respectfully asking the governments of Italy, Great Britain and the United States to launch investigations into the mishandling of the Meredith Kercher murder inquiry and the subsequent framing of two innocent people.”
Italian MPs ask for a Perugian Inquiry
Members of Italy’s parliament asked for an investigation of the Perugian judicial system in 2011. A growing number of international experts have highlighted the many grave errors in the prosecution’s case, supporting the PM’s claims.
The Safety Net failed
“This case has been going through the Italian court system for over seven years – longer than the Second World War”, said Pruett, “and there is no sign that it is anywhere near over. Evidence has been mishandled, manufactured and suppressed. Misinformation has been endlessly repeated by the media.”
“It is time for a real investigation to reveal the truth about what happened in Perugia in the days and weeks after Meredith’s murder. This is now the highest profile miscarriage of justice of the twenty-first century. Supporters of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are going to fight this injustice until they are exonerated. Justice for Meredith Kercher does not include having innocent people in prison.” Pruett concluded.
Summary of main points in petition:
The petition alleges that:
• Perugian investigators suppressed and ignored evidence that proved that Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito are innocent of the murder of Meredith Kercher
• Wiretapped witnesses without due cause
• Deprived both accused of legal representation at key times
• Interrogated Amanda Knox without providing an independent accredited interpreter as required under international law
• Manufactured evidence
• Violated seven articles of the Italian Constitution
• Violated seven articles of the Italian Penal Code
• Violated five articles of the Italian Criminal Procedure Code
• Violated the Vienna Convention, Article 36
• Violated the International Covenant for Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR): Article 4, Section 2.
• Violated the European Convention for Human Rights (ECHR): Article 6, Section 2, and Article 8.
• Introduced evidence from civil proceedings into a criminal trial by running the two concurrently thereby ignoring a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court
• Arrived at “Italian Judicial Truth” through the separate and earlier trials of co-accused Rudy Guede, thereby fatally compromising the trials of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito who were not represented at Guede’s trials and were allowed no opportunity to challenge evidence presented there.
For more information visit http://www.amandaknoxcase.com/
Statement from the organizers
This petition is intended to raise awareness of facts regarding the case against Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito by Italy. It was crafted by an international group of supporters who do not represent the defendants or their defense teams. We are private citizens who feel compelled to challenge the case file being brought before Italy’s courts which is fundamentally flawed. We believe that the appeal level and the supreme level should not be allowed to rule on false information. We also believe that Great Britain and the United States should take action to challenge the incorrect information about their citizens that is contained in the case file before Italy’s upper courts.